Days Gone By

Days Gone By
If only time stood still...

About Me

My photo
I am mother, daughter, sister, wife, student, employee, and a person in constant state of self-improvement. This is a place where I can vent, express ideas, share photos and just connect with others.

Friday, October 10, 2008

Education...

I never realized until the last year how much I would value an education. Since returning to school a year ago I have learned so much and value it immensely. I have always considered myself a math person, and considering my degree program is in Accounting, I often wondered why I should have to take all these "useless" electives & "irrelevant" classes. Wow... I'm eating my words now!
I'm currently taking Critical Thinking and English Comp II... I am absolutely amazed how much I've been challenged and continue to learn - surprisingly I love it! Critical Thinking has forced me to evaluate my speaking (in a sense). It's about arguments: how to argue, evaluate arguments, write arguments, repair arguments and refute arguments (correctly). It's amazingly hard, but at the same time wonderful. I almost feel like I'm growing and changing for the better... crazy, huh??
In my English Comp class I have learned to appreciate literature so much more. I've always liked to read, but never realized how many of the classics I have never read... I tend to read less challenging novels, which are fine, but my reading list continues to grow and I will read all those books someday. I may have read (been forced to read) some in high school, but honestly I can't remember which ones and what they were about - I had no appreciation for them then. My reading list consists of:
Lord of the Flies
To Kill a Mockingbird (I know, huh?)
Pride & Prejudice (and other Jane Austen novels)
The Red Tent
Gulliver's Travels
War of the Worlds
Michael Creighton books and Flannery O'Connor as well...
Moby Dick
Of Mice and Men
The Great Gatsby
Weathering Heights
The Count of Monte Cristo

etc., etc., etc...

I have a lot of work ahead of me, don't I? But I feel so motivated to be even more educated...

When I decided a little over a year ago to go back to school I thought I was too old and I should forget about it, but thanks to the support of my family and friends I have realized that I'm not too old and I still have a full life ahead of me...

So, thank you for everyone who has supported me through this journey! I have 6 more classes (18 credits) until I have my Associate's Degree in Accounting, but I will continue after a small break to pursue my Bachelor's degree...

Love, LouAnn

2 comments:

mykids4hisglory said...

Good for you! ((HUGS))
You're amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Have you read The Red Tent yet?!!?!?! I loved it!

Hugs,
Rhonda